Director of Construction Services
Blackmon Mooring started as a two-man upholstery business in 1948 and has since grown into a leader in the disaster restoration industry. Fresh out of World War II, William Blackmon Jr., along with college friend Scott Mooring, opened a furniture and dye shop.
The company’s first turning point came in 1949, when Fort Worth, Texas, received over eleven inches of rain overnight. Mr. Blackmon saw an opportunity to service the flood-damaged community, and he and his team sprang into action. This marked the beginning of Blackmon Mooring as we know it today. When the floodwaters receded, Blackmon Mooring began offering affordable carpet, air duct, and upholstery cleaning to homeowners throughout the city. One of the first jobs they had was upholstery cleaning at the Texas Christian University Stadium.
In the late 1960s, Blackmon and Mooring developed and patented the Steamatic carpet cleaning machine with the help of inventor Bill Wisdom. The Steamatic process grew in popularity and was so revolutionary that they soon began selling franchises nationwide.
In 1981, the company added the BMS CAT division to serve commercial customers and help with disaster relief on a national scale. One of the first projects BMS CAT undertook was the Hilton in Las Vegas, which sustained considerable damage due to a fire in 1981. A few years later, BMS Global was formed to provide services following transportation disasters throughout the world; most notable of these were "The Miracle on the Hudson," Asiana Airlines crash in San Francisco, and the Amtrak derailment.
In September of 2019, Blackmon Mooring & BMS CAT completed a sale to AEA Investors LP, a leading private equity firm based in New York. The acquisition allows for growth and expansion opportunities, while maintaining exceptional operational response throughout the nation.
Today, Blackmon Mooring & BMS CAT follow the same principles it was founded on and are dedicated to delivering reliability, quality, and superior customer service. The customer has always been the cornerstone of its business and will continue to be. The Blackmon Mooring & BMS CAT teams go to great lengths to make sure customers are not just satisfied, but happy with the services provided, as the reputation of their founding fathers depends on it.
In this newly created role, the Director of Construction Services will oversee all aspects of the commercial construction division focusing on, but not limited to, multi-family restoration and reconstruction. This position reports to the Vice President of Large Loss.
This leader will provide vision, direction, guidance and will be accountable for the overall performance of the division, including profitability, achievement of construction services goals and alignment of business strategy. The Director of Construction Services will be charged with implementing an operational infrastructure, processes, metrics, and creating a culture of accountability within the team. Additionally, this individual will be enthusiastic about the customer experience and ensure exceptional customer service across the division.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Strategically and tactically manage all activities in construction fulfillment including contracting, project planning, budgeting, forecasting, execution, customer care, and support systems within the division.
- Develop and then assess the construction services effectiveness; identify underperforming areas and make suitable changes to reach targets, achieving overall profitability, fulfillment SOP’s, and construction KPI targets.
- Collaborate with the team to prepare professional and competitive estimates and proposals, establish and monitor project budgets, select the most qualified and cost-effective vendors, monitor project schedules and resource allocations.
- Manage, coach, and evaluate team members including schedules, workflow, and output. Assist individual team members in understanding their strengths and weaknesses to achieve job and personal goals.
- Ensure safe operating and work practices for employees, subcontractors, and customers.
- Retain existing customers and increase customer base through improved construction service experience and excellent communication.
- This leader will support the Sales team and assist with new customer development.
- Develop and direct our branch offices construction services offerings related to multi-family reconstruction.
- Analyze construction service tactics, construction performance, and the overall fulfillment process.
The model candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Highly organized and an excellent communicator: employ superior time management and oral and written communication skills to effectively manage the team and achieve the goals of the division. Evaluate workload and set priorities for yourself and team members.
- Collaborative: manage effectively by aligning the teams’ performance with the organization’s construction services goals; the leader should be capable of cross-functional collaboration.
- Creative and entrepreneurial: be an "out of the box" thinker and develop inventive solutions to operate at a fast pace in the current market.
- Change-agent mentality: develop innovative strategies and lead change within the dynamic environment.
- Problem-solving ability: identify internal and external challenges and proactively solve them.
- Customer Advocate: anticipate and proactively address the needs of customers in an effective and efficient manner.
- A minimum of 10 years construction management and services experience along with the leadership of a successful commercial construction division.
- Work experience in a fast-paced, dynamic business environment.
- Possess the ability and drive to implement construction infrastructure and leverage customer-facing growth opportunities in the service industry.
- Have a deep passion for improving the experience of customers as well as honing and hiring construction talent.
The ideal candidate has earned a degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or another business-related field.
The opportunity will include a base salary, discretionary bonus primarily based on the Operating Income of the division along with fully paid medical insurance, optional dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan, generous Paid Time Off and more.
If this sounds like you, please apply TODAY!
BMS CAT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.